Sunday, April 4, 2010

限定版 Limited Edition

Gentēban (限定版) is the Japanese word for limited edition, pictured is the limited edition beer can from Asahi celebrating spring and the blooming sakura trees. Recently a Japanese acquaintance told me that if a product - any product - is offered as a limited edition item, then Japanese are sure to go to great lengths to acquire it. For instance, when a long queue blocks the tiny isles of the store you are trying to quickly traverse to catch your train, then a limited edition item is sure to blame. Many items also have very seasonal offerings, such as this beer can, so if you desire foods, items, or products that could be seemingly seasonally related, or more important limited edition, then you better join the queue now or you risk becoming the fellow that missed out!

4 comments:

  1. I am often amazed that they will wait in line for these things, but cut in line for the train...though I hear that lining up for the train is worse in China.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree and the fast dash for open seats on the train is also crazy! I also have problems at the grocery store - just today I was repeatedly jabbed with a shopping cart because apparently the cashier was giving me my change to slow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But if you were to nudge someone you would get the "stink eye" from them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. HaHa, yea! I turned to look at the lady that was jabbing me and she gave me the 'stink eye' just for turning around :)

    ReplyDelete